[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-2419952 ] Add 'get' method to toggle

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 15:12:02 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:47 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > Yeah, I think there should be more querying capabilities in Pd in
> > general.  It allows for more dynamic behavior without resorting to
> > strange hacks.
>
> you mean, strange hacks like storing a value in a variable?
>
> anyhow, i agree that [tgl] is "special" (in a not very positive way) as
> it is the only gui-object (i can think of right now) that will change
> it's value when banged, rather than just output the current value.

... which was the exact reason I submitted the patch, but maybe the
'correct' patch would be to 'fix' the behaviour of [tgl] and make it
output its current state on bang. I guess that's going to break (a lot
of) stuff though...

Actually, it never occurred to me to do what Miller said and simply
store the current value of the toggle as it is set. This makes a
separation between UI and logic, which ultimately is probably better
design anyhow.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk