[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-2419952 ] Add 'get' method to toggle

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Dec 14 15:19:45 CET 2008

Jamie Bullock wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:47 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Yeah, I think there should be more querying capabilities in Pd in
>>> general.  It allows for more dynamic behavior without resorting to
>>> strange hacks.
>> you mean, strange hacks like storing a value in a variable?
>>
>> anyhow, i agree that [tgl] is "special" (in a not very positive way) as
>> it is the only gui-object (i can think of right now) that will change
>> it's value when banged, rather than just output the current value.
>
> ... which was the exact reason I submitted the patch, but maybe the
> 'correct' patch would be to 'fix' the behaviour of [tgl] and make it
> output its current state on bang. I guess that's going to break (a lot
> of) stuff though...

yes totally. i wouldn't dare to change this.

another clue:
when tgl gets banged, you will now it's new value.
since tgl can basically only have 2 different values, it's rather
trivial to calculate the original value from that.
(but i guess that this is what hans meant with "strange hacks")

fgmadsr
IOhannes