[PD-dev] pd-devel status report

Steffen Juul stffn at dibidut.dk
Wed Jan 7 10:59:35 CET 2009

This is a follow up to the other mail on pd-list regarding the same. I
think it makes sense to carry on on pd-dev, hence i just respond to this
email.

On Wed, January 7, 2009 1:14 am, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> If anyone is ready to join in, there are many things that people could
> work on:
>
> - internationalization using msgcat and standard .po files
>
> - unified preference panel with tabs (like standard pref panes on
> GNOME, Mac OS X, and Windows)
>
> - flexible key binding code so that people can easily experiment with
> all these ideas (this is started in pd_bindings.tcl)
>
> - restructure Pd window for cleaner UI and code
>
> - canvas scrollbar logic
>
> and more....

Most of that is what i think is new features (more then it is
restructuring). So that explains the confusion.

Let me ask: How easy will it be to merge this work into (vanilla) pd-0.42-x?
- I was thinking that if there was done a restructure (my definition) then
adding the new (gui) features of 0.42-x into that wouldn't be that much
work. But adding them and merging new features within the restructure
might be in my head/imagination.

My concern is that i hope for these things to end up in vanilla, hence i
was thinking that restructuring and getting up to speed with vanilla would
help with that. Given the restructure was accepted by Miller it would then
also be much easier for him to take or not take changes. And as a bonus
also easier for anyone to take or not take changes (ala distribution idea
behind f.x. Git).

I hope this doesn't seam like ranting. It is intended as an honest and
constructive input.

That aside. Just making sure: This devel branch is branching of vanilla
0.41-4 and the only focus is the gui (as opposed to also merging
devel-0.39 features)?

Best, Steffen (trying to navigate to the pref panel code)