[PD-dev] pd-devel code structure meeting on IRC

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Feb 7 02:02:30 CET 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 7:21 PM, mescalinum at gmail.com wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> actually it isn't working on Linux (the main window shows up, but
>>> it's
>>> freezed)
>>
>> Strange, that happened on one of Chun's machines, but not the other.
>> This does not happen on my Ubuntu/Intrepid/i386 machine.  I've only
>> been working on my laptop so far.  Could it be related to the font
> yep, it was the  fit_font_into_metrics  procedure (I added a check for
> preventing it looping, but it doesn't solve the font issue).
> suddenly the 8pt font has decided to not fit anymore into a 5x10 cell.
> this is a total kludge.

Hmm, I just refactored that code, but I haven't checked it in yet.  I
check your changes.

> I'm still for having pd.tk decide the cell metrics for each font. you
> can't force a font to fit into some pixel size. this is what happens
> when you try to do it   :-S

That is the way that Pd has done it for a very long time, that means
you get different box sizes on every platform, and the box size will
vary on different installs of the same OS even.  That's a bigger
mess.  With the old system, it means that GOP GUIs are totally
unportable.  Either the box sizes need to fixed, or the box sizes and
fonts need to be saved as part of the patch.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli