[PD-dev] stripping down Pd-extended's default libs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 16 20:59:42 CET 2009

To be clear, the libraries will all still be included in the package,
they just won't be loaded by default.  That means you'll have load
them as part of the patch using either [declare] or [import], or using
namespace prefixes like [cyclone/prepend].  This puts us further
towards the goal of having all of the patch settings stored in the
patch itself, making it more likely to work on more computers.

That said, you can still set your own preferences so that all of the
libraries are loaded by default, and things continue to work how they
do in previous version.   But that means that your patches will likely
not run on other people's computers.

Part of this effort is also pulling out as many objectclasses as
possible from the core distribution, and making that a standalone
library like the rest, like a 'vanilla' or 'extra' library.  One
immediate possibility created by doing that is the ability to have
versions of this 'extra' library that are highly optimized for your CPU.

.hc