[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:17:25 CET 2009

> Cyclone's overriding is pretty important for importing Max files.
> Without it I wouldn't have been able to port the RTC library that fast.
> Of course porting RTC involved replacing many objects with their Pd
> equivalents (and being a pd-vanilla fanboy, I mostly used builtins and
> abstractions for that). Other users may be fine with keeping Cyclone
> loaded and run the Max originals - freedom of choice is fine here.

If freedom of choice is a goal, then maybe the behavior should be
user-configurable with a flag, allowing one to keep builtin names and
use aliases for any conflicting lib classes, OR use the lib's class
names and make aliases for builtins.  Either could be the default as
long as it's documented.

Matt