[PD-dev] pow~ in Cyclone [was: Re: stripping down Pd-extended's default libs]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 19 01:03:51 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 20:19 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> cyrille henry wrote:
> >
> > IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> > ..
> >> they could, but it was an effort to do so.
> >> any "ordinary" external would not be able to do it.
> >> the only library that i am aware of that did override internal classes
> >> is cyclone,
> > what about zexy [unpack]?
> > it is still here,
>
> oops, nobody told me yet :-)
> i have hopefully fixed it now...
>
> > and it is still breaking my patch.
>
> how's that?
> i would be interested in a patch demonstrating this breakage.

IOhannes, thanks a lot for the explanation in previous mails about how
fuddling was needed in previous version of pd and isn't anymore in 0.42.
this explainy why suddenly [pack] and [unpack] of zexy overwrite the
versions of pd. i think, this makes all sense to me now.

the switch from 0.41 to 0.42 did indeed also break at least one of the
netpd patches. this patch is using [unpack] for an incoming message,
that misses the list selector. while this still works with pd's [unpack]
(although it is an undocumented feature, i guess), it doesn't work with
the zexy [unpack]: it complains: no method for 'bla'.

this again raises the question: should zexy's [unpack] mimick the the
funny behaviours of pd's [unpack]? i am undecided here. personally i
think, that it was a bad choice to call it [unpack] after all.

roman