[PD-dev] [declare -distro vanilla]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 20 18:33:46 CET 2009

"puredata" doesn't seem like the best name for a distro, but I'd guess
I say this distro would set up the environment to limit the libs to
the Pd-vanilla objects.  "pd-extended" would set up the default libs
that are loaded in the current Pd-extended. For example, if you
created [pow~] with the  "pd-extended" distro, you'd get [cyclone/
pow~].  Maybe there could be something like "vanilla-0.41.4", then
[pow~] would fail to create, but with "vanilla" you'd get the new
[pow~].

The aim is to make for more compatibility across distros while
allowing each distro to have its own default set of objects in the
global namespace.  Throwing error messages would just be one option as
a response.  I think that Pd-extended (Pd in general really) should be
structured so that the vanilla objects are a library like any other
library.  But its nice having a common set of objects pre-loaded in
the global namespace.  That's what Pd/Max users are used to, so
ideally we can find a way to support that as well as multiple distros,
and keep things compatible.

.hc

On Mar 19, 2009, at 9:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> what would e.g. Pd-vanilla that supported a "-distro" flag do if
>>> it encountered a [declare -distro maxmsp]?
>> That would be up to Miller.  Ignoring it would be one possibility.
>
> ok.
> so what would Pd-extended do if it encountered a
> [declare -distro puredata]
> since this is up to you, what would you actually do? ignore it as
> well?
>
> and if so, what would be the purpose of this little exercise?

>>> furthermore: i don't think that it is good design to have
>>> [declare] accept _any_ arguments and ignore them at will (e.g. if
>>> it decides to not support "-distro", then it could either
>>> explicitely ignore "-distro" or accept any argument and only use
>>> those that it knows about.
>> I am not sure I follow what you are asking. The behavior of this
>> would be dependent on the distro.  So someone could quietly ignore
>> all -distro flags, they could through warnings or errors, or do a
>> little dance.
>
> i was not asking for something.
>
> but i thought the idea of this would be to make projects more
> portable, rather than generate error messages.

>>> in general, i think the idea tobe able to load named library-
>>> bundles is not such a bad idea.
>
> this should have read: "in general, i think the idea tobe able to
> load named library-bundles is not a good idea."
>
> though now i am not so sure about this anymore. if the only purpose
> of my suggestion was to have a named shorthand for loading libraries
> in a specific way, then it is rather useless.
> it should be possible to do this with [declare] as it is now.
> the benefit for having a single shortcut for a collection of libs
> seems to be rather small.
>
>> I think that there should be some distro file format that could be
>> placed in a folder to be installed and used.  That way people could
>> freely create and distribution their own.
>
> what exactly do you mean with "distro"?
> is it the collection of objects it comes with?
> does it include modifications to the Pd-core as well?
>

>> I am thinking this isn't like a library, I think there would only
>> be a handful of distros defined.
>
> hmm, do i understand it correctly that by "a handful distros
> defined" you mean a fixed enumeration?
> i'm rather glad that Pd has an open plugin-concept, and miller did
> not decide a one time that [expr], [fiddle~] and [bonk~] were enough.
> (but then there would be no problems with nameclashes and distros
> and such)
>
> just kidding of course.
>
> but anyhow, how does it relate to "people could freely create"?
>

>> I don't think this functionality would work so well with many, many
>> distros but perhaps.
>
> if it does not work so well, then it's probably badly designed.
> so let's improve it's desgin.
>
> and imagine: nameclashing distros!
>

> fgamdsr
> IOhannes
> [...]

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams