[PD-dev] PdGuiRewriteTestBuilds

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 30 09:46:21 CEST 2009

hi again

Steffen Juul wrote:

> On 29/09/2009, at 23.45, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>
>> IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>>> would not. seems you are right at the problematic version :-)
>>>
>> meaning that "you do seem to have a problematic version of autoconf",
>
> Yes, i got it. thanks for investigating, IOhannes!

btw, on a non fink contaminated machine running 10.4 i have autoconf
2.61 installed which can process the configure.ac fine.

> According to 'grep' the .msg target is in po/Makefile at line 61. It
> looks like:
>
> %.msg: %.po
>         msgfmt --check --tcl --locale=$* -d . $*.po
>
> I do have msgfmt installed, see:
>
> $ msgfmt --version
> msgfmt (GNU gettext-tools) 0.14.5
> (snip)
> $ which msgfmt
> /sw/bin/msgfmt
>
> But now I see that it should be version 0.17, at the top of po/Makefile:
>
> # this is the only way to get gettext 0.17 with Fink
> UNAME := $(shell uname -s)
> ifeq ($(UNAME),Darwin)
>   PATH := /sw/lib/gettext-tools-0.17/bin:${PATH}
> endif

first of all, this seems to be an ugly hack (i was meant to write "very
ugly" but after reading it again, it turned out to be better than i though).
anyhow, this is why we have configure for: to find out whether we have
e.g. msgfmt installed (which for instance i have not) and whether a
version compatible with the features we need is installed (which for
instance you have not).

however,...

> It gets rid of error, but make still says:
>
> $ make
> make -C po all
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `.msg', needed by `all'.  Stop.
> make: *** [locales] Error 2

these errors are (i think) unrelated to which version of msgfmt you have
installed.
in fact, it seems that make fails to properly expand it's build targets,
and thus never calling msgfmt.

some general hints:
- are you sure that you are at least at revision 12459 of the
branches/pd-gui-rewrite/0.43/ ?

- did you do any modifications to the Makefile(s)?

- does it work if you do this?
 % cd po
 % make en_ca.msg

- do you have a crooked version of make?