[PD-dev] much better scrolling algorithm (pd-extended 0.42.5)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Dec 5 02:28:23 CET 2009

I guess I didn't understand the nature of that issue.  I haven't seen
it.  Tcl/Tk's bbox stuff seems to work with comments, do you mean
IEMGUI text?

.hc

On Dec 4, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Please see the patch. It says there. I also sent you on several
> email test that you should do to assess the problem of text size
> being misrepresented by tcl tk's bbox call.
>
> Ico
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

>>> I've not touched this part. This is simply how 0.42.5 does scrolling
>>> in
>>> respect to the mouse wheel so I would say this part has nothing to
>>> do with
>>> my patch...
>>
>> Ah, ok, didn't realize you weren't changing that.  IMHO, if we are
>> going to look at scrolling, we need to look at the whole picture.
>> This is bad behavior that should be fixed.  That's why I started this
>> dev wiki page, to make a catalog of the whole picture:
>>
>> http://puredata.info/dev/ScrollBarLogic

>>> I realized this earlier last week as well. This is because I am
>>> omitting
>>> text in manually calculating bbox to avoid redundant scrollbars
>>> which are
>>> apparent in all other versions, particularly when using number boxes
>>> with
>>> larger fonts. I think it would be a good idea to report your
>>> experience on
>>> this one: namely whether you are getting the same results in this
>>> respect so
>>> that we have this also covered as part of the algorithm's
>>> assessment.
>>>
>>> That said, I thought a bit about this and I think text can be added
>>> in two
>>> different ways:
>>>
>>> 1) by creating an invisible box around them (not sure if canvas
>>> supports
>>> this) or if there is already one identifying it in the manual bbox
>>> calculation.
>>>
>>> 2) trying to figure out what is the font scaling discrepancy and
>>> applying
>>> that number to text (once again inside manual bbox calculation since
>>> that is
>>> the only place you could do so on an individual basis such as this
>>> one).
>>
>> What was the problem with using Tcl/Tk's bbox calculations?  It'll
>> get
>> the comments automatically, IIRC.
>>
>> .hc

>> Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
>> for machines to execute.
>> - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.