[PD-dev] path for embedded examples

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 12 17:59:51 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 11:32 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 3:43 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> >> I think, this doesn't work if "mylib" isn't installed or isn't
> >> installed in
> >> "extra".
> >
> > True. But since we're talking about example patches _coming with_
> > certain libraries, I think it does make sense to assume that the
> > original library is installed, and installed in "extra".
> > Or am I missing something here?
>

> Yeah, [declare -stdpath extra/mylib] requires the library to be in the
> 'extra' folder.

Isn't that the point of this exercise?
Do we want the freedom to put the example files wherever we want or are
we looking for the freedom to put the library wherever we want? I was
assuming the former, since usually you have the library installed at a
fixed install location.

>   [declare -path ..] will work anywhere that library
> is, but won't work if the example is saved outside of the library
> folder.

Exactly.

> Also, stdpath will add the library to the global path, right?

No, it only affects the patch with the [declare] inside. At least on
0.42.5 vanilla. When loading binary externals, they're added the global
path (which is the same for all mechanisms).

Roman