[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 20 22:37:39 CEST 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 10:54 PM, András Murányi wrote:

>>> IMHO, the auto-build scripts are a big kludge, so I don't want to
>>> spend more time on them.  And did the bulk of writing them.  :)
>>> We should use something like buildbot, but no one has set it up
>>> yet.  If you are interested, that would be a great project to take
>>> on.
>>>
>>> .hc
>>>

>>> Sounds cool. I'd be interested in picking up this project if you
>>> can help me with the things i'm not so good at: the first is
>>> platforms.
>>> Buildbot seems something web-centered, and needs Twisted on the
>>> clients too. Twisted is installed by default with Ubuntu and
>>> MacOSX 10.5+, available for Windows and the rest goes from source.
>>> This means, at a first glance, that Mac 10.4, Fedora and every
>>> other Linux than Ubuntu, will need Twisted to be built or
>>> prebuilt, and i'm not sure about 64-bit platforms and PPC. Python
>>> will be needed to, i suppose it's more widely available.
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Andras
>>
>> We should move this discussion to pd-dev so its archived and others
>> can contribute/learn/follow.  I hope you don't mind, I cc'ed pd-dev.
>>
>> I think we can get twisted installed on 10.4 using Fink.  Its
>> included in Debian too.  We'll need to install it manually on
>> Windows, or however appropriate.  That said, I am not married to
>> buildbot, if you want to take on this project, feel free to
>> research other options.  There are some that are Java-based for
>> example.  I just remember builtbot sounding like the best back when
>> I looked into it.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> I have had the same impression, so i'm interested. It's just that
>> we shall foresee what's foreseeable before jumping on it.
>> So if anyone knows anything possibly better that Buildbot speak up.
>> Java stuff, i'm not so much into it, but that's just me.
>>
>> Andras
>

> Any word on the possibility of buildbot or something else?  I'd love
> to have a system where people could have their libraries built on
> all platforms separate from Pd-extended. Also, builds of the various
> git branches of 0.43 that are cropping up could be useful too.
>

> Shall we start testing it, shant we? I could set up a master and a
> slave on my box, but it may be more straightforward to start setting
> up the master where it will really be. If you simply install
> buildbot on a server there and create a buildbot user i can take
> over from there. Otherwise i set them up all here.
> Let's test with a single source tree (and a single build slave) and
> when it works well we can add more.
> Seems like no changes or additions are needed to the source, just
> working out a huge config file on the master.
>
> Andras

Ok, I messed with it a little bit but failed to see how to setup the
server.  Perhaps the best approach would be for you to develop the
setup on your machine, then once its ready for testing, we can try it
on one of the PdLab machines.

The buildbot user is created, but it doesn't allow logins.

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne