[PD-dev] packaging loaders for Debian

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 6 18:51:57 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-06 17:41, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Why do you think having the ability to  autoload loaders is a bad idea?
> I can't see a disadvantage, but I am not saying there couldn't be one.

i can't think of one, but that doesn't mean that there is none.

my main point was, that in pd-vanilla there is currently no autoloader
functionality, so i don't see a reason to add it to debian packages.

> I would like to see it be possible to write Pd objects in a bunch of
> different langauges, then transparently use them as if they were any Pd
> object.  Here's how I see it:
>
> - there is a library of nice GUI objects using tclpd
> - that gets packaged up Pd-extended, Debian, pure:dyne, etc.
> - someone else goes looking for GUI objects and finds the niceGUIobjects
> lib
> - they [import niceGUIobjects] and try making objects
> - they get lots of errors in the Pd window and no GUI objects
>
> Seems to me that for users, tclpd should already be loaded.

aye.

i fully understand what you are saying, but i still would prefer if
addons would not enable themselves without user choice.
(e.g. apache-modules get installed into /etc/apache2/mods-available/ and
the admin selectively can put them into /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/)

so even if there was autoloading, it would be nice of the package to ask
on installation (via debconf) whether these packages should be enabled
(put into the autoloading directory).

but this could be done even without autoloading a directory, but just
adding a system-wide pdrc which is read at startup (a long standing
feature-requirest in the tracker)

fmgasdr
IOhannes