[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 13 23:41:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:49 +0200, András Murányi wrote:

>                 Also, about the slave names, would it be possible to
>                 use the same names
>                 that are on the PdLab page? I.e. not CamelCase, but
>                 with-dashes
>                 instead :)
>

>         Sure, i will. Soon :)
>

> Done - used the names verbatim from the PdLab page, which means there
> is *some* CamelCase, also x86_64 *and* amd64. At least it's now in
> perfect sync with the wiki page.
> Tonight i'll try to set up the slaves.
>

>         Now i'm at CVS polling... it goes with a script snippet, which
>         i'm not sure about if it does what we want... could you take a
>         look at http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall sometimes and see
>         if the changes trigger the right builder? The snippet is like
>         this:
>
>         def my_file_splitter(path): # file splitter for
>         BRANCHNAME/PROJECT/FILEPATH repos
>           pieces = path.split('/')
>           if pieces[0] == 'trunk':
>              branch = None
>              pieces.pop(0) # remove 'trunk'
>           elif pieces[0] == 'branches':
>              pieces.pop(0) # remove 'branches'
>              # grab branch name
>              branch = 'branches/' + pieces.pop(0)
>           else:
>              return None # something weird
>           projectname = pieces.pop(0)
>         #  if projectname != 'pure-data':
>         #     return None # wrong project
>           return (branch, '/'.join(pieces))
>

>         further explanation is here:
>         http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/latest/SVNPoller.html
>
> It really seems to me that buildbout does not understand yet which
> builder to start upon which change. Once you have time, you could take
> a look into this 'splitter' thing.

Ok, will do.  Its great to have buildbot running nightly builds, so that
will just be cake.  Let me finish the Pd-extended release and the
pure-data 0.43 release...

> Also, please note, that the pd-extended build fails in buildbot - with
> various reasons.
> http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall

Ok, I just committed a fix to this, hopefully.

> BTW i have reorganized builders so that we see now what's up on
> different platforms. It's a bit frightening to think about how this
> will look with each external building independently (multiplied by
> platforms) - i think a second master shall be dedicated to them, and
> then the so called 'categories' will help to keep some order.

Yeah, I think it makes sense to have Pd-extended and pure-data.git
builds separate from all of the libraries. I don't know enough about
buildbot to say how best it should be done.