[PD-dev] buildbot on Macs and from git

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:11:21 CEST 2010

2010/9/15 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:08 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>

>> At the moment buildbot fails with "exceptions.RuntimeError: Couldn't find
>> executable for 'svn'"
>>
>> + the same for git
>>
>> I added ~buildbot/.bashrc to hopefully add Fink stuff to buildbot's
>> environment
>>
>> .hc
>>

>> Hmm, didn't work out, and net.sourceforge.buildbot.plist has sw/bin in the
>> path too, and svn is there, so i really don't know...
>>
>> Andras
>>

> Ok, I was getting some builds from macosx104-i386, but then it disappeared,
> donno what happened there.  macosx104-powerpc seems to be running still tho.

Yea the process died somehow. I have restarted it with the command:
 /sw/bin/buildbot restart /Users/buildbot/macosx104-i386

The output had some complaints:
/sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/persisted/sob.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import os, md5, sys
/sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/python/filepath.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
instead
  import sha
/sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/internet/_sslverify.py:5:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import itertools, md5
Following twistd.log until startup finished..
/sw/lib/python2.6/site-packages/buildbot/scripts/logwatcher.py:52:
PotentialZombieWarning: spawnProcess called, but the SIGCHLD handler is not
installed. This probably means you have not yet called reactor.run, or
called reactor.run(installSignalHandler=0). You will probably never see this
process finish, and it may become a zombie process.
  env=os.environ,
Removing stale pidfile /Users/buildbot/macosx104-i386/twistd.pid

> I worked on the pd-master/master.cfg a bit, including changing some of the
> names to be more consistent.  I also got pure-data building from Miller's
> git.
>

> http://128.238.56.50:8010/builders/pure-data%20Linux%20debian-stable-i386/builds/6
>
> .hc

Good! I saw you stared experimenting with a builder for the externals too -
do i understand right that at the end we will have every external built
separately? I was thinking about breaking them out to a separate master, but
then we'd need to duplicate every slave setup, so finally i think they could
stay in the main master, and we could have each of their have their own
"category" name, which allows for some selection at the web page.
Also note that for the builders, you can define an array with "slavenames:"
instead of a single string "slavename", so you can test the same builder on
multiple slaves at the same time. At the end they have to broken down to one
slave per builder, otherwise the diag output is not easy to understand.
Changing descriptionDone values to past tense like "compiled" may not make
sense when the step fails and the output goes like "compiled failed". Also
there are things like "autogen" which don't have a proper past tense... :)
Another thing i noticed an "svn update" by itself, i think we shall have the
sources explicitly in master.cfg otherwise it will fail where the slave got
reset. Also you told before we wanted "clobber" (tabula rasa) checkout not
an update...
I saw the "make install", "make uninstall" steps in the output - having
these would make much sense, fyi tests can be called with Test() which has
some advantages over ShellCommand() like it doesn't make the whole build
halt on failure.
BTW switching the sources to git is easy, what we have to work out is Git
polling. It's built into 0.8.1 but needs to triggered from git for 0.7.12.
And then we have this thing with the poller to explain it which builder to
start upon updates... a.k.a. the cake :)

Andras