[PD-dev] split out 'osc' and 'net' from 'mrpeach'?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 1 10:15:10 CET 2010

On 2010-12-01 03:02, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I call mrpeach/net canonical not because I believe is it perfect and
> bugfree, but rather because it is the established, proven way of doing
> more elaborate networking.

i think it is not canonical as it tends to change it's API to workaround
certain problems.

> Its the best option out there. iemnet is
> just a fork of that with some specific changes.  iemnet is very new and
> not tested as much, so it seems a really bad idea to start basing things
> off of it,

i'd rather not read the above.

anyhow, i definitely wouldn't call iemnet the "canonical".
i think canonicity should be more about the object's API than about the
implementation itself.

>  like how to package things in Debian, etc.  Who knows,
> perhaps mrpeach/net and iemnet will merge again.

that is desireable from my pov (but there is still some work todo on the
iemnet part, which i would like to be not hindered by legacy code)

fgmasdr
IOhannes