[PD-dev] svn-repository general question

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Feb 20 00:31:27 CET 2011

On Feb 19, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> On 2011-02-19 13:50, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> I was using this:
>>> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended
>>> But recently I have been unable to build Pd this way because trunk
>>> is
>>> inconsistent ATM.
>>> I think the idea is to choose a version in /branches and build that,
>>> starting in the packages directory. It worked for me with Pd-
>>> extended
>>> 0.42.5 on linux at least. For the latest versions of externals build
>>> them separately from trunk/externals.
>>

>> Yes, its true, its a bit of a mess. We haven't figured out out to
>> bridge
>> from git to svn very well yet, and both pure-data and pd-extended are
>> now developed out of git.
>>
>> If you want to build like the nightly builds, then use the 'rsync'
>> method of getting the source.
>>

> It's weird, I remember the shift from cvs to svn took a few months
> of discussion on the list but I don't remember seeing anything about
> moving to git...
>
> Martin

Hey Martin,

Miller moved to git a while ago, and with 0.43 started pushing his git
to a public repository.  Since then, it made sense to develop the Pd-
extended fork of the Pd core also out of git so that we can manage the
flow of patches between Pd and Pd-extended.  So this only applies to
the core, i.e what's in the 'pd' folder.  Everything else remains in
SVN.

I personally have moved all my work on the 'core' to git, I believe
IOhannes has as well.  If you wanted to work on the 'pd' core stuff in
Pd-extended out of SVN, I suppose that would be possible, but I think
it would be much easier for everyone if you also did your core work
out of git.  I am thinking that the Pd-extended release branches will
remain entirely in SVN.

You are right, its not really been announced, I think my own Pd-
extended work in git has only reached an announceable state in the
past couple of days.  So I'm curious what your thoughts on all this
are, since you contribute quite a bit to the core.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque