[PD-dev] build instructions for pd-extended

Ricardo Fabbri rfabbri at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:53:31 CEST 2011

Hey Hans,

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> SVN is a lot
> easier than git, and I figure anyone how knows 'git svn' doesn't need
> to have it documented.

That's true, but knowing a single tool is a lot easier than knowing
two.. Many newer programmers are being taught to user Git from the
start. Our lab is an example. Anyways, the nice thing here is the
uniform interface to all Pd-related repos through Git. That's the next
best thing to having it all natively in Git. Since these docs treat
all repos, I thought git-svn is well worth mentioning. I wrote a
version of the docs now that lists this as an option; the target is
not who already know git-svn but those who don't, cultivating more Git
culture in the Pd community towards an eventual full migration to it.

> Also, since that page is called BuildingPdExtended, perhaps it makes sense
> to have a WorkingWithPdExtendedSources page that is linked from
> GettingPdSource and BuildingPdExtended as a place to fully document all the
> possible setups for development.

Done.

> I've been trying to make the developer docs a collection of small modules of
> pages, so they can be reused a lot. Before, what would happen is that
> something like the rsync command was documented in multiple places, but
> would only get updated in one place, so there was a lot of out-of-date info
> around. Having it small pages that are linked between a lot means we can
> have it so something is only documented in a single page, so there is only
> one place to update.

Agreed!

Further suggestions to the latest docs are always welcome.

Ricardo.