[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 25 17:49:07 CEST 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 18:36 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Pd vanilla still has different box sizes on different platforms, if I
>> remember correctly, therefore the sizes will have to change
>> somewhere.
>
> I made a little test patch and took screenshots [1]. On three
> operating
> systems (Mac OS 10.6.4, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7) I tested
> Pd-extended-0.43.1 (from autobuilds) and Pd-0.43.1test4 (from Miller's
> site).
>
> The results are contrary to what you are saying. For Pd-0.43.1test4
> the
> box sizes are consistent across all tested platforms. For
> Pd-extended-0.43.1 the number, symbol, message and object boxes are
> 2 px
> less tall on Windows than on the other platforms. Due to this, only on
> Windows number and symbol boxes have the same height in Pd-vanilla and
> Pd-extended (though message and object boxes are 2px smaller in
> Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla).
>
> On the other two platforms, Ubuntu 10.04 and OS X, number and symbol
> boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in Pd-vanilla.
>
> The hsliders, vsliders and cnvs have the exact same dimensions in
> every
> tested combination. Also is the width of number, symbol, message and
> object boxes consistent across all tested platforms and flavors.

Thanks for this, very useful.  Guess I have some work to do.  Could
you add this report to the bug tracker?  I check it out when I have
time.

>> I tried to get these changes into vanilla, but I guess Miller didn't
>> want them.
>
> Currently, it looks like they are not necessary since the situation
> looks good for Pd-vanilla.
>
>> I've already spent a lot of time on it, so I've moved on
>> since it works in Pd-extended.  There should be a whole history of
>> the
>> discussion on pd-dev, i.e. the details of the issues.  I don't
>> remember them, I'm sure it was some annoying technical details.
>
> Since only Pd-extended is not consistent across platforms, would
> that be
> reason enough to reconsider adapting Pd-extended to the symbol and
> number box height of Pd-vanilla?
>
> Roman
>
> [1] http://www.romanhaefeli.net/ramsch/pdappear.tar.gz

I will fix it, but it needs to be compatible with previous Pd-extended
releases since lots of GOPs have been tailored to that setup.
Hopefully that's the same as Pd-vanilla 0.43.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson