[PD-dev] font size tweak pushed to git... comments?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Jan 15 17:30:58 CET 2012

On Jan 15, 2012, at 1:46 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 07:16:44AM +0100, Albert Graef wrote:
>> On 01/15/2012 05:34 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>>> I noticed font sizes changed from 0.42 to 0.43 and tried to tweak them
>>> back to 0.42-style, by having the new font-size-search code in
>>> pd-gui.c actually try to find the font sizes that s_main.c later searches
>>> (redundantly) for.  I should have done this earlier.  If this doesn't
>>> break anything it migth be worth rolling out a 0.43-2 just so people don't
>>> spend all next year with incorrect font sizes...?
>>
>> I must say that I much prefer the looks of 0.43-1. Maybe it's just
>> because I got used to it, but the 0.42'ish fonts look too bold to me
>> now. Does this change really have a big impact on patch layout? I
>> didn't notice any for the patches that I tried.
>
> I Apbert -
>
> I don't think it affects font style (oldness or font face itself) but
> just gets the sizes to be closer to 0.42.
>
> I think that if you're on a macintosh, font was boldface in 0.42 and isn't
> (by default) on 0.43.  On linux I don't think that changed from 0.42 to 0.43.
>
> cheers
> Miller

As long as the box heights remain consistent to the pixel, I don't see a problem with tweaking the fonts.  Its a personal preference really, I suppose.  0.43 should be a little more flexible than 0.42 in terms of setting fonts from the command line.

Ultimately, I'd love to see the GUI stuff handled all by Tk, then we will get a scaling/zooming interface for free, and this box size question will go away forever.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin Luther King, Jr.