[PD-dev] fontwidth and nogui

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 19 19:15:25 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-19 à 10:05:00, Miller Puckette a écrit :

> It's hilarious - there's exactly one aspect of Pd run-time semantics
> that depends on screen location -- inlets/outlets of subpatches are
> numbered in left-to-right order on teh screen.  To to thins someone has
> to call gobj_getrect() on the inlet/outlet, which then not only has to
> report the northwest corner but the entire rectangle, which depends on
> font size.

You don't have to call gobj_getrect(), you need only te_xpix to figure out
the order.

But run-time semantics that depend on screen location is a bug. When it's
like that by design, it's a bug by design, because there's a bug in the
design.

It's not as palpable as a bug in the implementation, which you can tell
because the programme does not do as the design says. So people can argue
endlessly about it, but you can still recognise that there's a problem
with the design because people spend significant time talking about the
gotcha, suggesting workarounds for the gotcha, teaching the gotcha,
avoiding the gotcha, complaining about the gotcha ; and all along, things
could have been better (unlike other things that look like a design bug
but in which all solutions are equally annoying).

It's also not hilarious... I mean, people who want to make fun of Pd may
and will laugh about it, but for the users, it's not a big big fun.