[PD-dev] FreeFrameGL external

Gert De Roost paleajed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:53:30 CET 2012

Greetings,

After several days of programming work I can now present this first version
of a new external for pdp that hosts FreeFrameGL1.5 plugins.
My first project using C++... slow learning!

The external does conversion from YUV to RGB and back using fragment
shaders.  The real bottleneck is the glReadPixels call that copies texture
information back to main memory.  I managed to implement it using
asynchronous pixel buffer DMA, so it doesnt block.  Disadvantage is one
must wait for the transfer to end (anyone know how I can check for this?)
so I wait for the next frame to arrive before writing out the current frame
to pdp, so input 1 frame, it outputs only when you input another...

Little testing has been done, and to my understanding there are not many
FFGL plugins available (please proof me wrong here), still if anyone could
give the external a spin that would be nice.  A test file is provided.

The external needs you to have the GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 extension available
on your OpenGL system, like I can run it on nVidia here but not on Intel.
Any feedback on IF it works at all would be great.

Get the first tarball at: http://www.ewocprojects.be/pdp_ffgl.html

Also the visually inclined might check my Pd video mixer EWOCvj at
http://www.ewocprojects.be

Also I have some code that does video wiping for pdp, check this on the Pd
forum.