[PD-dev] Problem with [iemnet/tcpclient]? (was: Sporadic crashes of Pd)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:34:30 CET 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 14:52 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Hi again
>
> I was able to create a patch, that does not make Pd crash reliably, but
> far more often. On my box it crashes roughly every second time I run the
> patch.
>
> This is how I run it:
> $ gdb -ex run --args  pd-extended -noprefs -nrt -noaudio -stderr -open crashertest.pd
>
> When the [bng] is hit, every 10ms an OSC message is sent over TCP. After
> a while (on my box usually only a few seconds), no more messages are
> received, though they are still sent.

Actually, the opposite is the case. [iemnet/tcpclient] stops sending,
but would still receive something, if [iemnet/tcpserver] would send
something. Can someone observe similar behaviour or is the patch happily
running on other people's machine?

I tried running it with valgrind, but then Pd doesn't crash anymore.
Could it be, that the overhead added by valgrind makes Pd so slow, that
it doesn't trigger anymore?

I'm kind of clueless how to track that down further. I know of a few
situations in netpd, that are likely to crash Pd, but they are never
reliable. I don't even know, whether the different backtraces of those
crashes are due to the same cause. When I try to isolate parts, the
crashes disappear. This is quite a show stopper.

Roman