[PD-dev] no sound from bsaylor/svf~ and cyclone/svf~

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Dec 22 19:09:13 CET 2012

On Dec 22, 2012, at 9:17 AM, katja wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Turns out adding -fno-strict-aliasing after -ftree-vectorize does nothing, so the no sound part is indeed caused by bsaylor/svf~ being compiled with -fstrict-aliasing.
>
> Indeed bsaylor/svf~ works again when type punning is removed (used
> PD_BIGORSMALL instead to avoid subnormals). Patch file submitted to
> patch tracker. Who is maintaining Ben Saylor's stuff by the way? His
> name is on this maintainer's list:
>
> http://puredata.info/dev/roles
>
> but the list is very much outdated. There is even the name of someone
> who isn't alive anymore. I'm sure I've seen another maintainer's list
> somewhere, but can't find it now.

Excellent, that's the last one!  I committed a fix for iem_spec2/spec_sqrt~ to the pd-extended branch.  I recently found out that there are two levels of that "type punning" warning: 1) this will definitely cause problems, and 2) this might cause problems.  Unfortunately, they are both the same warning message.  But currently, the level 2 warnings are only turned on for the Mac OS X builds, so that's the difference why there are more warnings on the Mac builds than the rest.

I usually look at 'svn log' to see who has been committing recently.  I don't think Ben Saylor's touched that in a good long time, but its been maintained by various people, including me.  You should just commit directly.