[PD-dev] from t_symbol to t_class

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 4 10:43:54 CET 2013

On 01/04/2013 07:19 AM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think you're safe calling vmess() to pass no arguments to clip_new
> (for example) - the worst that can happen is the "return value" (the
> global "newest" is zero.  If not it's a proper Pd object you can use zgetfn()
> on to test it for messages.
>
> Main problem I see with this is that some classes like "select" and "list"
> are actually several classes that share a name (and which one gets created
> depends on the arguments sent to vmess())

also, what happens if the object in question accesses some hardware
ressource? e.g. [pix_video] will try to grab an available video-source,
potentially locking a hardware device.
in theory this should not be aproblem, as the object will hopefully be
freed by [classinfo] asap, but in practice it might have all kinds of
side-effects, starting from short lockups of Pd to launching rockets.

gmfad
IOhannes