[PD-dev] Functional Programming & C code generation

Tom Schouten tom at zwizwa.be
Wed May 15 19:19:30 CEST 2013

On 05/14/2013 01:19 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hi Tom, pd-dev,
>
> On 14/05/13 17:18, Tom Schouten wrote:
>> Is there anyone here interested in Functional Programming and C
>> code generation for DSP code?
> Yes!  My most recent experiments are:
>
> https://gitorious.org/maximus/tilde
> http://mathr.co.uk/blog/2012-12-25_clive.html
> http://mathr.co.uk/blog/2013-04-05_bitbreeder.html
>
>> I'm working on a system for DSP code development based on the
>> principle of Abstract Interpretation
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_interpretation
>>
>> Basically, it will allow several interpretations of a single
>> specification program: - specification as a pure functional
>> program - imperative C code generation (for passing to C compiler
>> or LLVM) - Z transform for frequency plots of (linearized) transfer
>> function - automatic differentiation for all kinds of
>> derivative-based tricks
> What about automatic oversampling (or even undersampling?) by
> calculating bounds on signal bandwidth at various points in the DSP
> process?

Sure ;)
This approach is opening a lot of doors for all kinds of program
analysis and computer-assisted development.
Though, I'm trying to get a solid base going first.
The transfer functions were a nice surprise.

>> - ...
> Cool stuff!
>
> What about using the same system generating GPU code (OpenGL/GLSL,
> OpenCL, Cuda, ...) for video DSP stuff?

There you have the reason for my PDP cleanup.
All these things are on my mind, but the main trouble is available time
and energy at this point.
I'll need to get a job soon to fund the rest of this work..