[PD-dev] first impression about deken

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 12:37:16 CEST 2015

Hey all

I'm all excited about deken. Both, downloading/installing and
building/uploading was really easy and worked well for me.

-- Issue #1 --

When I download a package that wants to extract to a folder that already
exists, the plugin hangs and with it whole Pd.

Scenario to trigger this situation:
* Menu > Help > Find externals
* search zexy
* pick wrong architecture
* restart Pd (zexy won't load)
* open 'find externals' again, search for zexy
* pick correct architecture

Pd hangs now.

-- Request #1 --

When searching for zexy, I get listed all available architectures. As a
not so tech-savvy user I have difficulties picking the correct one.
Since deken knows my arch, wouldn't it be possible to show only my arch
(or high-light the one that is 'good' for me)?

-- Request #2 --

I'd like to try someone else's patch and load it in Pd. When loading, Pd
prints the error:

 symbol2list /
error: ... couldn't create

Ok, I fire up 'Find externals' and search for 'symbol2list' and I get no
result.

In my imagined best case scenario, deken would index (could be manually
created by the developer/uploader) objects that come with a certain
library and users could search by object names and find matching
packages.

--

Probably I'm asking stuff that is already in the pipeline anyway. Is
this the right place to follow its development?

Roman