[PD-dev] Windows installer for Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:21:12 CET 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-10 at 12:05 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2015-11-10 11:29, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > We treat other platforms with a lot of care (it
> > seems you can get Pure Data as FreeBSD port) and I think Pd on Windows
> > deserves the same amount of care.
>
> i think the comparision with FreeBSD is not favourable for W32:
> - FreeBSD is a un*x flavour and follows standards that a lot of other
> systems follow as well (unlike W32, which follows its own standards).
> therefore, if Pd integrates well with a standard linux distribution (for
> this to acchieve there are standard toolchains), it will automatically
> integrate well with FreeBSD.

My point was that even on a much rarer platform than Windows - FreeBSD,
for instance - you can get Pure Data in a way convenient and common for
that platform.

> - FreeBSD "ports" (as in: packages) are provided by the FreeBSD folks,
> not by "Pd itself" (e.g. miller). also it seems there is no "Pd" (or
> "puredata") port.

I randomly picked a platform and Google returned some bug reports for a
Pure Data port, so I assume a Pd port existed.

I'm happy to host Windows installer for Pure Data myself, the reason I
hesitate is it would add more fragmentation.

BTW: I never heard people complaining about Pd-extended coming as
installer, even less so since you can pick zip or installer. Pd could do
the same.

Roman