[PD-dev] quick demo of git author garbage

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 08:08:18 CEST 2016

By substituting the author string with obvious garbage-- like only allowing the
word "dingus" to be shown there. :)

I used git format-patch to make the patch, then git apply with --stat and --check
to look at some meta-data and see if it would apply correctly.  Finally, I used
git-am to apply the patch.  I don't believe any of those steps actually show
you the author name and email addy used in the patch.  Even visually perusing
the diff it's not something I tend to look closely at.
I guess I'd be a bit happier if git required the committer to explicitly
transfer authorship in this case (either with a flag or a separate command).
"Foo typed 'Linus' here" is better than "someone typed 'Linus' and maybe
Foo is validating that it was Linus, or maybe Foo did not notice, or maybe
Foo does not care...".

-Jonathan

    On Thursday, May 5, 2016 12:16 AM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

 Hi Jonathan,

On 05/05/16 05:54, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-dev wrote:
> However, the user-friendly tools that wrap around
> git (github, gitlab, etc.) don't make this clear as you
> can hopefully see. :)

Also, without signed commits (which are the exception rather than the
rule) I am curious as to how you think user-friendly tools could make
this clear, or even know it was happening?

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/