[PD-dev] Abstracting GUI communication. Was: canvas moveto

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 5 14:46:21 CET 2017

On 04-11-17 23:42, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> Is this the problem that Purr-data and CICM tried to solve?
>

> Purr Data uses a generic interface for speaking to the GUI.
>
> The spec for Purr Data's communication from Pd to the GUI is here:
>
> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/tree/master#gui-messaging-specification

Both the current Pure Data and Purr Data interface use drawing
primitives. The PDCon2016 discussion was about replacing it with
somewhat more high-level, like 'draw me a standard object box with X
name, Y inlets and Z outlets'.

The Purr Data approach would still be used for custom GUI objects.

Fred Jan