[PD-dev] Pd 0.48 app bundle without src dir

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:04:30 CET 2017

> On Dec 3, 2017, at 11:46 AM, katja <katjavetter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On a platform where building Pd with autotools is just a matter of
> hitting ./configure && make, the need for a 'self-replicating' binary
> package seems to be obviated indeed. Frankly I didn't know it is so
> easy, since INSTALL.txt for 0.48-0 still tells you to generate the
> configure script. Will 0.48-1 be different in this respect?

Short form: I an be that easy, but the current pd source tarball does not included the generated configure script.

Long form:

It *should* be that easy but it requires the source release to include the generated configure script. This can be done on a developer machine using "make dist" which generates a distribution tarball (even with the version naming), ready to go. If configure and it's m4 stuff are included, then all the user needs is a shell and compiler chain to build the project. That's part of the whole point of autotools.

The reason I added the info about installing autoconf, etc was the currently pd's source tarball is a git archive (I believe) and not an autotools dist tarball, hence the extra steps to generate configure as it's not included. We removed the generated files from the git repo as they really don't nee to be there as they can be generated like the automaker-generated makefiles.

(Throwing this link around again.) I've found this guide to be a *great* overview of how and autotools project works: https://autotools.io/whosafraid.html <https://autotools.io/whosafraid.html>

> If the intention is to leave out sources from future binary
> distributions for all platforms, would it be an idea to include a copy
> of the API files in the old path (src) during a transition period, say
> until the next major version?

Right. If the requirement is that the headers need to be in a "src" folder instead of "include", I can fix that no problem as it was just a cleanup detail I've not gotten around to fixing.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>