[PD-dev] MARCH in Deken file name

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 30 10:37:15 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-30 10:29, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> When I think "march" I think of the string I pass to the compiler to explicitly get 32 or 64 bit. For clang on macOS, I say "x86_64" and for 32 bit I say "i386".
>
> It's fine if deken uses the different string, I was more trying to clarify my understanding. Ideally, I'd prefer if those string matched but I can also understand the underscore in "x86_64" is not ideal for the filename parsing.

thanks for the clarification.

the thing with "march" is, that this string is just a gcc flag (also
available to clang).
afaict, the flag meaningless on other compilers, like MSVC, and the same
architecture is named differently on other compilers as well ("x64" on
msvc).

so the point was to get a march identifier that is independent of my or
your current toolset.

and to stand on the shoulder of giants (Debian, that is).

gmfsdt
IOhannes