[PD-dev] keep master on github stable

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 4 03:40:51 CEST 2018

My current policy is only to make branches if I end up having to go back and
make bug fixes to 'finished' versions (like 0.48 now) after I've started the
scramble for the next version.  When this works (that is, when I can avoid
having to make bug-fix retrofits) this saves a lot of merging.

The limitation with this policy is that if (for example) you need the
key-up bugfix for Mac (which should appear in 0.49 which I hope to release
with the newest Tcl/Tk) you have to wait for 0.49 to appear and deal with
whatever new bugs it might have.  If I can get to a stable 0.49 in the next
couple of weeks this should be OK... otherwise I guess I should make a
0.48-3 release which I think will necessitate branching (or maybe not even,
if all it ends up needing is a new Tcl/Tk version, hmm).

cheers
Miller