[PD-dev] why some structs are defined in m_obj.c? + what are vinlets and voutlets?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:58:42 CET 2018

Hi Henri -

This is a reflection of Pd's extremely data-hiding programming style - the
idea is to keep the structures hidden so that if they are changed it doesn't
break stuff.

And yes, it gets awkward in spots - especially because ugen sorting and
the like have to have accessor functions that count inlets/outlets and
so on.

The way Pd's internal code finds out about connections (in order to draw
them for instance) can be seen in the function canvas_drawlines() for
example - which uses the functions linetraverser_start() and
linetraverser_next() to find them.

cheers
Miller