[PD-dev] a new object/functionality similar to max's [if]

Tsz Kiu Pang osamupang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 06:21:30 CEST 2019

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 07:53, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Both Shahrokh (who wrote expr, and whose office is 15 feet from mine) and
> I keep thinking about how to extend expr to add more control flow, which
> should include looping, conditionals, perhaps some sort of block structure,
> etc.  The problem we always hit is that there's no way to figure out where
> stop.  And if you keep on not stopping, you end up inventing a programming
> language.  There seems to be no "correct" way to do it.

It seems though the proposed [if] object would be like a slight modification
on the existing "if" operator.
Instead of having "if" as an operator, I guess the proposal is to turn it
into an object,
because an expression has to always output a value (?), but if we are
implementing
"if", "else", "then" operators, an outlet does not have to necessarily
output anything,
which I guess is the main difference between the existing "if" operator and
the
proposed [if] object.
In my ill-informed opinion, I think this is quite a big step away from
inventing a
programming language, but again, I am quite new to this community, so
pardon me
if this is not making sense.