[PD-dev] Naming of patch when doing a "save as"

jakob skouborg syntaxerror60 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:05:24 CEST 2019

Hey :)

to be honest, i didnt even notice.
usually, if i "save as" any suggested filename is wrong.

Ah well, that is another perspective, haha ;)

But it is still a lot easier pushing the delete or back arrow one time, to remove the original name, than it is to write a full new name.

One reason this was changed, I believe, is that some people were accidentally overwriting there patches when they forgot to change the original name.

As far as I know, when doing a “save as”, you are always asked if you want to overwrite the original file. So you can just say yes or no to that.

Hah, most macOS apps now make a "duplicate" named "<orgname> copy".

Well, that I could live with, hehe, much better than "untitled" ;)

I often do a lot of versioning when making complex patches, to avoid ruining them. So most of my patches have numbers included.

Like for example "Comb filter 1.0”

And when I do a "save as”, to me it would make sense to start from "Comb filter 1.0” and then simply just change the last number to
"Comb filter 1.1”.

usually, if i "save as" any suggested filename is wrong.

One reason this was changed, I believe, is that some people were accidentally overwriting there patches when they forgot to change the original name.

When you don't want to change the name, you'd use "Save" or at least that makes sense to me.

the only suggestion i think "wrongest" would be "Copy of <orgname>.pd"

Hah, most macOS apps now make a "duplicate" named "<orgname> copy".

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika<http://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com<http://danomatika.com/>