[PD-dev] My [hid] 0.7.1 fork builds without XCode

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+pd at univie.ac.at
Thu Apr 16 18:26:38 CEST 2020

Hello,

TL;DR: Here's my fork of [hid] version 0.7.1 that needs no XCode to
build on Mac OS X (10.11.6 on my end, hopefully on later macOSses too):

https://gitlab.com/aaaaalbert/pd-hid

It's based on https://git.puredata.info/cgit/svn2git/libraries/hid.git/

Long version: I'm just re-learning Pd and decided it would be a good
idea to build it on my ageing Mac (which went marvelously!), and also
build [hid] which didn't go that smoothly for me.

In the versions of [hid] that I inspected [1], it requires XCode to
build on Darwin, as the Makefile [2] passes to xcodebuild an XCode
project file [3], lets XCode do its thing, then continues. I couldn't
get my version of XCode to use the project file, running into this error:

```
xcodebuild: error: Unable to read project 'HID Utilities Slib.pbproj'.
	Reason: Project file 'HID Utilities Slib' was written by an unsupported
Xcode version (38)
```

I soon gave up on hacking the project file and instead wrote a
sub-Makefile for the Mac parts [4], adapted the main Makefile [5], and
voilĂ ! I can use a spare JoyCon game controller to feed button presses
to my patches.

I've built and manually tested my version of [hid], tentatively labeled
0.7.3, both on Mac (OS X 10.11.6) and Linux (Xubuntu 19.10) with
PureData 0.50-2 as tagged on GitHub [6].

Outlook: I'm thinking of adding accelerometer support for the game
controller, and perhaps sort out the values that hatswitches produce on
different OSses.

Thanks,
  Albert.

[1] Here are the different versions / forks of [hid] that I found:
* 0.7.1 --> https://git.puredata.info/cgit/svn2git/libraries/hid.git
(That's the one I based my work on.)
* 0.7 -->
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pure-data/files/libraries/hid/hid-0.7.tar.gz/download
(as linked from the Pd wiki)
* 0.7 --> https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/pd/pd-hid/
* 0.7.1 --> https://github.com/agraef/purr-data/blob/master/externals/hid/

Binary releases from deken:
* 0.7.1 --> http://puredata.info/Members/zmoelnig/software/hid/
* 0.7.1 --> http://puredata.info/Members/chr15m/software/v0-0extended/hid/

[2] original Makefile:
https://git.puredata.info/cgit/svn2git/libraries/hid.git/tree/Makefile#n200

[3] XCode project file:
https://git.puredata.info/cgit/svn2git/libraries/hid.git/tree/HID%20Utilities%20Source/HID%20Utilities%20Slib.pbproj

[4] sub-Makefile for Mac build, not using XCode:
https://gitlab.com/aaaaalbert/pd-hid/-/blob/osx-build-without-xcode/HID%20Utilities%20Source/Makefile

[5] adapted main Makefile:
https://gitlab.com/aaaaalbert/pd-hid/-/blob/osx-build-without-xcode/Makefile

[6] https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/releases/tag/0.50-2