[PD-dev] can't get sys_getpreference to work on MacOS

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:08:10 CEST 2020

> On May 26, 2020, at 12:00 PM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> To Pd dev -
>
> I'm trying to get out s 'bugfix' release 0.50-3 containing networking updates
> and the new code-signing step fro the latest MacOS.

I agree with IOhannes as this is definitely not a bug fix release any more. It's basically 0.51 and many of the help file updates also reflect that.

> But meanwhile I can't
> seem to get Pd to read preferences on a macintosh any more.  This is the
> first time I've tested using the new preferences interface for Mac, commit
> cc64c629a (Nov 20 2019, so newer than Pd 0.50-2).

> It looks like this line:
>
>            const char *s = CFStringGetCStringPtr((CFStringRef)v,
>                                                  kCFStringEncodingUTF8);
>
> is always returning null.

It seems that, in certain situations, CFStringGetCStringPtr returns NULL even if the string is valid:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9166291/converting-a-cfstringref-to-char <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9166291/converting-a-cfstringref-to-char>

I did not see that in my testing but it could be a different strings settings you are reading as compared to mine and/or slightly different behavior between OS versions.

I can look into this later tonight.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>