[PD-dev] s4pd help: portable uid-like thing in C?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sat Jun 12 23:28:22 CEST 2021

Hi,

this is a bit of a XY question. The actual problem is about managing
clocks. Let's see if we can find a proper solution.

I would assume that you are storing the clock(s) alongside the
interpreter instance. If you restart the interpret, unset the clock(s)
with clock_unset(). If you free the instance, free the clock(s) with
clock_free().

If that somehow doesn't work for you, explain the exact problem and show
the code.

---

 > It doesn't need to be unique across the world, just the local machine

Why would your ID even need to be unique across the whole machine? I
think it should be enough that it's unique within the app. In that case,
you can simply use the memory address of the interpreter instance
itself. In fact, that's how Pd creates the canvas and object IDs for
communicating with the Tcl/Tk GUI app.

Christof