[PD-dev] unifying loglevels

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:13:11 CEST 2021

Sounds good to me.

I agree that 0 (CRITICAL) as the baseline and the levels as an unsigned int is better. With the enum, understanding the numeric values should not be an issue moving forward.

I would suggest considering a compatibility mode / compile time option to preserve existing functionality for those that *really* need it, then it can be removed later on (hopefully). I can imagine someone quickly trying to run a project with old pre-compiled externals and getting flooded with prints which they could at the least disable via some compatibility flag, however the amount of time it might take for them to figure this out could make the point moot. OTOH if adding this ends up taking too much time/focus for little benefit, by all means don't do it. :)

> On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:35 AM, pd-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:59:34 +0200
> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>>
> To: Pd-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:Pd-dev at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD-dev] unifying loglevels
>
> TL;DR i'd like to propose to unify the loglevels as used by verbose()
> and logpost()

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>