[PD-dev] Why not use portaudio per default?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 21 18:22:48 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 14:59, Christof Ressi wrote:

> What about my proposition to include portaudio as a submodule

in general i do not like git submodules.

first of all they make problems when using 'git archive' to generate a
source tarball (e.g. when you create a 'git tag', GitHub offers you a
"Source Code" download which is created with this method).
this is often a problem for downstream packagers (e.g. for the Debian
packages) where crucial parts are missing from the source tarballs.
in the specific case of portaudio i donÄt really mind, as in Debian we
are using the system-provided PortAudio (and explicitely do *not* use
the vendored version).

2nd, submodules do not allow for patching the vendored sources (e.g. we
*could* remove the annoying printout at Pa_Initialize() in our vendored
copy, but not with 'git submodule').
otoh, we haven't really used this in the past, so we probably don't need
this anyhow.

so i really do not care.
what i do care about is that the portaudio backend implementation of Pd
remains (API-)compatible with released stable versions of PortAudio (and
ideally (API-)compatible with the version of portaudio shipped in major
linux distributions, esp. Debian)

 > now that it's officially on GitHub?

this i don't really understand. what makes GitHub different from
BitBucket, GitLab, SourceForge or git.jackaudio.org with respect to 'git
submodule's?

fgmdsa
IOhannes