[PD-dev] [clone] with subpatches (was Re: multichannel signals, preliminary support)

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:15:19 CET 2023

> But I think I see what you mean, and maybe Purr Data has implemented
> something similar. They have this [ab] object. For reference: "*The [ab]
> object is accompanied by a number of supplemental objects (abinfo, abdefs,
> abclone) which let you inspect and clone private abstractions. There’s also
> an “Abstractions” dialog which can be accessed via the Window menu. This
> will give you a quick overview of the private abstractions contained in a
> patch. Also, it will show you private abstractions which aren’t currently
> being used (i.e., don’t have any instances), so that you can select and
> then delete them if they aren’t needed any more*." (from
> https://agraef.github.io/purr-data-intro/Purr-Data-Intro.pdf )

Yeah, that was a Google summer of code project I mentored two years ago or
so. It would be great if it or something like it could propagate upstream
to vanilla. It's been long enough now that I don't remember a lot about the
code, but we worked really hard on it to make it work sanely with other
stuff. One reason we didn't extend this feature to regular pd subpatches
was that it turned out to be really useful to maintain a distinction
between encapsulation types with global $0 locality on one hand and local
$0 on the other.