minimum hardware for linux PD?

SETA,MICHAL,MR BVOO at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Thu Dec 3 20:18:16 CET 1998

Hey,

For those who are really curious about platforms that pd has run
on:

I use it in MkLinux on a PowerMac 7200/120MHz.

Haven't tried yet GEM package with it but pd runs almost fine.

Almost because the MkLinux system seems to have no support for MIDI
:((
And no duplex audio :(  I can either read or write to my dev/dsp.

So I'm still working in MAX in MacOS.  When I have more time
I will have to recompile the kernel to tkae out sound in order to
install OSS which is supposed to be running on a PPC and supposedly
has full  duplex audio support.

Unfortunately other MkLinux users don't seem to be interested
in doing music on their machines.

However, given a well developed kernel and system with all support
you need and considering various benchmarks, pd should perform
better on a PPC processors than on Pentium.

For now, though, it's just a wishful thinking.

Let's hope OSX server will be more reliable.

| Michal Seta
|
|         http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1257/

  It's only when I know what I'm doing that it's boring  |
                                              j cage     |