Q: Sound Blaster 64 Gold + pd + Linux?

Michael Lechasseur mlecha at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Dec 8 01:13:41 CET 1998

Hi,

	I'm in the market for a new sound card and need your advice.

	I'd like to have full-duplex audio in pd.

	I plan to get a Sound Blaster 64 Gold for 100$, and then use the
commercial full-duplex OSS-Linux drivers.  (I successfully compiled the
2.0.36 kernel with OSS-free drivers but they're half-duplex only.)

	Does anyone use these two products?

	It would make more sense to buy a PCI sound card, but if the drivers are
not available for Linux, then I don't have much choice.  Unless there are
any reasonably priced PCI based cards which have full-duplex support in
Linux?

	The PCI SBLive! cards won't have Linux drivers for a while, since
Creative is sitting on the hardware info which is necessary to write the
drivers until the new year.

	Any suggestions would be appreciated,

	Michael Lechasseur