Full-duplex questions

Guenter Geiger guenter.geiger at psp-vie.be.philips.com
Mon Dec 21 19:29:44 CET 1998

Hi !

Yes, you are right, full duplex doesn´t work correctly.
I just never had a card, which is full duplex until now (bought a PCI128 too).

I realized the same problems as you did:
1) with OSS/Free, the card only works in full duplex with BIG
   audiobuffer sizes.(kernel 2.1.131)
2) Didn´t try OSS/Linux, because it crashed my computer (alpha)
   the last time I installed it. You could try setting the audiobuffer
   size and look if it works ..
3) After trying ALSA I realized, that the ALSA code in pd is only
   full duplex with two soundcards. Then, I´m having problems with ALSA under
   Alpha anyway, which I have to investigate further.

In my opinion the OSS driver just don´t work as documented, or rather, the
documentation
lacks a specification of minimum audiobuffer sizes.

What I will do against it:

- Look if I can tweak the code, so that it will work under OSS/Free.
- Try to make the ALSA support clean.
- Investigate the possibility of 4 channel output :)

until then (early Jan), you could only look into s_linux.c and try to fix
OSS code yourself..

Merry Christmas

Guenter