Preferred Pd platforms

Chris Graham chrisgr at mail.quik.com
Thu Apr 1 22:51:17 CEST 1999

Hi.  I've been following discussions on this list for a few weeks now.  I'm
attracted to Pd because I'm looking for a MAX-like development tool for MIDI
processing and sound design that will run on a PC.  I'm also a C developer,
and it would be fun to contribute to testing, debugging, etc.

I'm in the process of buying a new computer, and I'm wondering what choices
I should make for compatibility with Pd (and GEM).

I'd appreciate some help with a few questions:

- How similar is Pd to MAX?  If I get the book on MAX programming, will this
be an aid to learning Pd?

- What would be a good hardware/OS platform for Pd?  What I'm interested in
is stability of Pd on the platform, and very good performance.

Because of other software I'd like to run, my preference would be for an
Intel box running NT - around a 450mhz Pentium III.  From what I've read on
the Pd websites, this would be a good choice.  Is this correct?

If so, then I have these specific hardware questions:

- suggested sound card
- type midi interface
- amount of ram
- benefit of dual processor capability