CD-ROM

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 20 20:16:02 CEST 1999

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Guenter Geiger wrote:

|Yes, seems to be a need for it.
|Maybe someday someone (me) will come up with a object like that.
|Do you have have  deadline ?

It'd be great tyo have an object like this...

I'm starting to work with the theatre as of Wednesday (April 20) and the
play opens sometime in the middle of may.  So it's getting a little tight.
I would probably need CD-ROM with pd at the beginning of may...

I have already considered alternative ways of dealing with the problem
(such as playing sound files rather than audio CD).

I also have a little concern...  PD seems to be still consuming a lot CPU
when run in 44100 Hz mode (-ada).  This is still Linux PD.  I've been
using it for some simple sound file playback in a Theatre show I'm in
right now but I'm playing files sampled at 22050 and pd with -r 22050.  On
my machine pd runs in the default mode consuming about 37-49% of CPU, it
has priority 10-19 (according to "top").  And that's just the pd app with
audio on and no patch loaded.  My simple sound file playback patch was
running at about the same CPU consumption...

The system is again Pentium MMX 233, RedHat 5.2, Yamaha sound card (OPL
variety) with OSS (commercial).

And I don't even want to look at the source code.  It'd give me a headache
:)

Thanks.

     ......   Michal Seta  ......