Linux $DISPLAY problems

dieter at klingt.org dieter at klingt.org
Mon Feb 21 17:10:06 CET 2000

hi!
your problem can be solved easily.
you don't have to recompile anything, or switch back to windows.
the DISPLAY variable is to tell x-programs on which X-server to run.
(you need to have an X-server running to run pd)
just enter "export DISPLAY=0" or "export DISPLAY=localhost:0" in your
bash-commandline before you start pd (from the same shell).
if you want to run pd on your computer and export the graphical output
to anotherone connected via network enter
"export DISPLAY=the.other.maschine.org:0" or "export
DISPLAY=IP.AD.DR.ES:0"
"echo $DISPLAY" gives you the actual value.
you can also put te export-line in your
.bashrc/.bash_profile/.profile/...
if you are using another shell, read the man-page for ideas how to
export variables.
DIETER