Pd crashes

x7.16·< x7 at jodl.org
Thu Mar 23 17:29:31 CET 2000

 |Yes I have modified some lines in the crontab scripts to avoid CPU
 |hungry behaviours. I didn't dare to kill "crond" but will consider this
 |if the situation ask for (live act).
 |But right know I have to stop my work in progress and find a better
 |solution.

shutting down crond shouldnt be a serious problem, as i dint suppose you re
taking your production servers out to perform in the fields? ;)
all it does in simple cases is cleaning tmp dirs, removing core files, *~ files
and runnnign updatedb oince in a while.
or did i forget some critical taks?

 |The both PD threads I run respectivly on my 2 machines need a lot of CPU
 |and it seems that even a too long disk activity can be a threat for
 |their stability.
 |
 |I was using netscape when Pure Data freezed again few minutes ago.
 |
 |I am the only one who have theses kind of problems ? Is it linux
 |specific ?

i m using pd constantly with all sorts of apps open () or
other orcesses running and i dare say its never crashed because of system
overload. that just shouldnt happen. ?

 |I am wondering if the soundcards i use are not a factor. I use a SB 128
 |PCI (ens1370) with ALSA in OSS emulation and a fidji.

got the same card thou running with kernel drivers, !alsa ..

 |Theses machines have dual cpu main boards but have only one CPU each for
 |the moment.
 |May be adding the second one will let PD being less interrupted by other
 |tasks or devices. I read that in dual cpus machines on linux, one of the
 |cpu is dealing with the IRQ. It's just an idea.

that sounds more like a place to investigate?
have you looked into bios options for single cpu mode or tried
a kernel upgrade? we ve had sysfreezes on a dual cpu machine with suse 6.2 or
so., that was from 2.2.10 => 2.2.13 ..

--
¯<.<.xll_·>xI·>xI<><>i 0981123333³²²||¼¢ø¢ø:=x:=x¹¹¯ 47566.98888>->-··#y#y__o
2703346666