run pd under suselinux6.2 and in general

a9508220 a9508220 at unet.univie.ac.at
Wed Apr 12 17:17:20 CEST 2000

>It's normal forthe "obj" directory to be empty; if you recompile Pd it
fills
>with ".o" files.
>
>When Pd quits with a strange error message, I normally just search for the
>message in the source code to find out where things went wrong.  If it
isn't
>immediately obvious what happend (or didn't happen) you could just report
>the exact error message to the list and I can probably psychoanalyze it
>right away.
>
>cheers
>Miller

Well, I am not experienced in reading source code, but I simply searched the
words pd tells me, I didn't find anything useful (at least, nothing useful
to me).
Unfortunately, I forgot the slip of paper on which I wrote down the error
msg again. But I remember more or less the exact output:
"Error in loading shared libraries"
then something about cant find   __bzero
and then "Broken pipe (32)"
all that in about 4 lines. I am not sure if pd causes the problem. Maybe my
soundcard installation (or sth else) isn't right. [Btw, Should I use ALSA or
the creative opensource emu10k1 one ? Differences?] But should the soundcard
matter at all if I start pd with -nosound? All this about shared libs makes
me think that the problem lies somewhere else, but as I am not experienced
in linux (I only started the whole thing to be able to use jmax and pd), I
cannot locate it.